Thursday, February 18, 2010

tick, tock - why'd your heart stop?


I need to say something. I need to say something right now, and I need to say it as loud and as clear as I possibly can. I need you to hear it coming through your speakers, I need you to see it come alive from your screen & I need you to feel it from across the room.

You are breathtaking & intriguing. Please stop trying to fix everything about yourself. It bores me.

Whatever it is that you just find so repulsive about yourself that makes you feel the need to hide in a protective shell, WHATEVER IT IS - you are not broken. You do not need fixing. There is a purpose to everything you have and will go through.

Why are we hiding ourselves from people? What are we hiding from? Shame, guilt, embarrassment, fear, rejection, a reality tv comparison?

Stop hiding! Stop covering yourself up! We're all messy in one way or another - but this should bring us together not make us go into isolation. I can't tell you how many people I've lost in my life because they felt they needed to hide away the things that made them unique, the things that they went through - their hurt. When an opportunity came for them to share the deepest part of themselves they ran in the other direction. We don't hide our success or joy so why do we hide our disappointments and pain?

To what gain do we do these things? To pretend we have it altogether? To pretend we don't need anything or anyone? To prove that we are self sufficient?

Well let me be the first to give up the jig: I don't have it all together, I need people, and I am not nearly as self sufficient as I would like others to believe. I am a mess and in my messy state it would be nice to be among the human race that at one time had emotions, feelings...imperfections just like me.

What planet is this? We were created as emotional beings. No not just women, people. People were created as emotional beings. I don't care on what point you fall on the emotional graph - that doesn't change the simple fact that emotions are not a source of shame, weakness or femininity, but of a higher capacity to be alive than any other creature on earth.

Where are you oh people who feel? Why have we abandoned our heart for the sake of our face? Why have we detached ourselves from the very thing that gives us life? Too painful? Too difficult? Too distracting? Too crippling? Too weak? Too humiliating?

Deal with it. "This is your pain, This is your burning hand, it's right here! Stay with the pain, don't shut this out. The first soap was made from the ashes of heroes, like the first monkey shot into space. Without pain, without sacrifice, we would have nothing." Don't go hiding into your cave..."Don't deal with it like those dead people do, come on! What you're feeling is premature enlightenment - this is the greatest moment of your life and your off somewhere missing it. Our fathers were models for God, If our fathers bailed - what does that tell you about God." - Fight Club

Stop cheating yourself out of the experience of life. The greater your capacity to feel, the greater your capacity to love, and therefore the greater your capacity to feel pain. Why is this bad? What kind of life would I have if I couldn't feel extreme love and therefore extreme pain? What would it all have been for? This isn't a pleasure cruise - this is a dangerous adventure, full of twists and turns and nausea. Stop with the precautions, the curtains, and the charade.

I need you, people, I need you. I need to see that what makes us different from other living things is our ability to feel. Your heart is the most beautiful thing about you. The hell it went through, the joy it's felt - that's beautiful. That's unique. And it is needed.

We can put up pictures of people who have our face, but we can never put up a picture of someone who has our ticker. Doesn’t that mean anything? That your experiences, your life, your triumphs, your failures, everything you’ve gone through has lead up to this moment where you finally realize that the world needs you, people need you, we need your perspective.

I am woman, I am invincible, I am tired and I refuse to give up on the human race and all that it is capable of, all that makes it beautiful. I need to believe that there are broken hearts out there just like mine seeking repair and comfort in knowing that it’s okay to “come as you are”. This isn’t a black tie affair, leave the ball gowns and the tuxes in the closet and join my ranks among the searching, the lost, the desperate, the needy, the starving, the imperfect, the loveless…the beautiful.

This is an invitation to life. Don’t just do a coat check, bring the boxes, the baggage, the ugly furniture, come in, unload, unpack, stay awhile and we’ll throw out the bull shit together.

A lyric that bares repeating is from The Postal Service: “I am a visitor here, I am not permanent.” My life without you, without people, is meaningless. There’s a shortage of feeling, emoting people out there. And there’s an intangible amount of moments for each of us. Without you I would be living for myself - breathing in life and breathing out toxins. I wish to create not destroy. I want to be apart of something bigger than myself and that something is all of you. My heart is open and full of all sorts of things, but it is still going, and as long as that’s true – I know I am worth something.

We recite catchy sayings about love, life, the universe and everything else to help us escape the pain and suffering in the moment; some nice little ditty that helps us cope with the choices we've made and the things that we choose not to deal with in the moment. But I reject the boomerang theory: that if you let something/someone go and it comes back to you – it’s yours for keeps. What you let go of is exactly that. It is gone – and if it comes back it’s so that it can whack you in the head with increased velocity. We can’t take for granted the people in our lives, we need to show our truest selves to each other, we need to say the things we mean and need to say. We need to be loved and give love. And we need to do it now. If there’s a road we need to travel alone – we need to not destroy the bridges that help us along the way.

While I’m here I mean to live on purpose - with purpose and exposed as the truest version of myself. Anything else would be a waste of time.

2 comments:

  1. Oh how I've missed your writing....... Very well said. I'm headed out the door, but I'll come back to this and give you a little more of my thoughts on it

    ReplyDelete